Thursday, May 15, 2008

7 1/2 Habits of .....

Life has so many opportunities, it is difficult for me to understand why some people are bored or never find a way to stretch in new directions. The following list of habits provides an excellent starting point for discovering these new paths.

7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners

Habit 1: Begin with the end in mind
Habit 2: Accept responsibility for your own learning
Habit 3: View problems as challenges
Habit 4: Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner
Habit 5: Create your own learning toolbox
Habit 6: Use technology to your advantage
Habit 7: Teach/mentor others
Habit 7 1/2: Play

I have acquired 18 college credits (undergraduate) since earning my BA. Elective classes were eliminated when I declared a major (English) with double minors (history and education). My college did not allow education to be the sole minor - thus the second minor. I could not afford to remain a professional student, so I became that occasional night student over the years. I have studied business and basic computers. Perhaps I should have stated a more defined goal, or sought another degree, but I studied the area I needed at the time. The business and accounting classes helped me operate a high school yearbook as a business. We were able to balance their budget in one year despite a $5,000 deficit. It was a great mental exercise. The sign language classes I took in order to help a young deaf girl. A minimum number of students were needed to offer the classes for her. She learned quickly and acquired many friends in the deaf community. I learned a great deal and was able to use the hand movements as a therapy aid to recover from two broken arms. The classes were mutually beneficial. (OK, I have used sign language to communicate - but very slowly.)

Most recently I earned my Amateur Radio License to help CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) in my neighborhood. This year I upgraded to General Class and then Extra Class and now use the high bands to communicate around the world. This was the most difficult mental project I have ever undertaken. Studying electronics and math formulas is a definite field trip for the English major mind. I knew I could do it and practiced until I could pass the examinations.

For me, the most difficult part of the Web 2 project will probably be functioning with a stated end in mind. I have remained focused for many of my projects, but aimless wandering is also a form of learning (and quite entertaining). I know that setting goals (and sticking to the plan) will bring me to the ultimate destination - knowledge of new technology.


No comments: