Sunday, June 15, 2008

WebFeat part 2

The first town I remember, as a child, is Greenville, NH. This search produced an article concerning the waste water treatment plant's ability to function in heavy rain conditions. That's important, but hardly interesting. I do remember the river that ran through the middle of town. Through the years various high rains have threatened to break the old dam and flood the downtown. The river flowed by the mill where they made ball bearings. There was a BIG fire in town when I was a child. Our neighbor thought it was the mill that he managed. My dad thought it was our church. But it was the restaurant/bording house next to the mill. The building burned to the ground and several elderly people died. Dad said the firemen tried to spray the people off as they came down the stairs. Some were confused and turned the wrong way into the fire - it was, after all, the middle of the night. We heard sirens all night as the firetrucks screamed into town. Firetrucks even crossed the border from Massachusetts to help. My father (the Congregational minister) and the Catholic priest called all the families in town to bring food to the firemen. Fortunately, it was a Saturday night and women still knew how to bake for their special Sunday meals. Food was abundant.

Mason, New Hampshire, was the other church my father served while we lived in Greenville. It was the home to writers and artists, since it is fairly close to Boston but over the border away from the taxes. (Taxachussetts, my aunt called it.)
The illustrator of the first golden book about Little Red Riding Hood lived in the Mason area. The scenes in the book were of the woods in Mason. One picture even has a sign that points to Mason.

Thus, I searched with interest to see what articles might appear. Pickity Place, an herb farm, seems to fit in with the artist colony concept. HORN BOOK REMINISCENCES: From Elizabeth Orton Jones was another interesting article.

When I was seven, we left New Hampshire for Colchester, CT. Colchester is a hub between a number of important Connecticut cities. My search produced articles about S&S Worldwide. This company, as I remember it, was S&S Leather. They sell products for crafts, such as small wallets or belts. This portion of their business began after the world wars - to employ disabled veterans. The 4-H clubs in Connecticut made use of their basketweaving supplies also. I recall obtaining the first ad from S&S Leather for our 4-H fair book. I was so excited to make a sale.

When I was 14 my father wanted to move out west, so we moved to Ohio. My search of Winesburg, Ohio, revealed Sherwood Anderson's book of that name. The residents of Winesburg disliked this book. It was actually written about Clyde, Ohio.

More later -

No comments: