Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Audiobooks and the Digital Collection

Tonight I visited the Audiobook section of our library website (www.pbclibrary.org). I downloaded audiobooks to my Creative Labs Zen MP3 player when the library subscribed to another service. I was very satisfied with that service. I would download 3 books at a time. I could usually listen to all three before the due dates. With the time and effort involved, it was just easier to download all three at one sitting, especially if we were travelling. I was satisfied with the selections - Nevada Barr, Anne Perry - and listened to all books by the same author before moving on.

Now, with this new subscription, I can not find my authors (Anne Perry, specifically) to finish their writings. I am disappointed in the selection. If I wanted to read Janet Evanovich - no problem. I do not read her books anymore. I will not bore you with the reasons. The first 10 books I looked at tonight would require me to place a hold before being able to download. This is really time consuming and annoying. Fortunately, I am not the average patron so I will probably persevere instead of seeking an alternative (better) source for my books.

I realize it is not the library's fault that I rarely check my email at home so would undoubtedly miss the notice that a book is available. A notice to my library email account will expire over a weekend (48 hours) before I return to read it.

Tonight I installed the Overdrive software and conducted the security upgrade. I also upgraded my media player. I was able to listen to the excerpt from Laura Lippman's "What the dead know." The quality was good. Surprisingly, it is available so maybe I will recharge my Zen and download it.

No comments: